Thursday, June 12, 2008


Posted by Varun | Thursday, June 12, 2008 | Category: , |

I was definitely planning to write a post on this one but thought it could wait. I guess it cannot wait any longer as the loyal readers have already started demanding. What more motivation does a writer need!? So here I am, sharing my feelings and experiences. The feeling of a farewell, the experience of a first class train journey and the feeling of coming home after three long years;

The D-Day - It was my last working day in Tech Mahindra. I was wating for this day when I resigned. I was waiting for my notice period to finish so that I can join the new organization as soon as possible. But when the day finally came, I was sad. I did not want to go. I did not want to leave my old organization. I did not want to quit. I wanted to be there, be there with my friends, and be in Mumbai.

It hurts when you have to leave something
so close to your heart and when you know you are leaving it permanently, it truly hurts. The celebration committee had arranged a farewell party. A year ago, I was in the celebration committee as well and had arranged few farewell parties. I had always seen smiling faces and happy people. So it was obvious that I thought that my farewell party would be a happy affair. But it struck me that it is not really one when people asked me to speak. Speak a few words. Here goes my speech. I might not be able to reproduce everything correctly but it was more or less like this.

'I am emotionally attached to the team, team mates and the organization since it’s my first company and am feeling really bad that am leaving. Sometimes there comes a point in life where you have to take a decision and move on. I guess it’s that kind of a time in my life. I am moving on. All the best to you all and enjoy the party.'
This was what I could utter at that point in the noisy canteen but the sudden flow of words touched my heart and few others hearts as well. I could see a tear here and there. Was I crying? No I was not. Somebody once told me that I am kanjoos when it comes to crying. I guess I am. I treasure my tears. After the party, it was time to bid good bye to everyone and make a move which I gleefully did. Sarkar Raaj completed the day for me (4 stars for the movie but not recommended for AB Baby’s fans). It was a day that vanished in the blink of an eye like a B2 stealth bomber unnoticed by the radar. Before I knew, I was out of Tech Mahindra :(

This post will be incomplete if I fail to mention two names. It’s in fact three now. Prakruthi (Pakuthi), Giridhar(Bhava or Jiju) and the latest addition, little miss sunshine Anshu :). They are the prime reason for me to have liked Mumbai. When people in my college where thinking twice about going to Mumbai, I jumped into the idea. I knew I had Pakuthi and Bhava. She was not just my sister; she was my guardian, my guide and most importantly my GPS :). Yes, my global positioning system. I never got lost in Mumbai.

Just the thought of leaving her brought tears into my eyes. Yes dears, I cried. It was quite late at night but still sent a message to pakuthi saying that I’ll miss her and bhava terribly. Just the thought that I cannot go to her home next weekend was a lil painful. I’ll miss this lovely couple the most. There are such great times we’ve spent together. Like all celebritie
s, I now have my favourite holiday destination. It’s Pakuthi’s place, Mumbai :). I know for a fact that I’ll be welcome there all the time. It was emotional; wasn’t it? I can’t quite believe myself too. Let me move on to the train journey.

It was a gloomy morning with dark clouds hovering around ready to burst any time. The idiotic meru cabs were not able to find me a cab and it was left to me to find myself a cab and find one fast as it was already 7.15 am and I had to catch a train from dadar at 8.20 am. I was in Bandra at Pakuthi’s place. I moved to her place on Sunday. Luckily, I found a cab quite easily and loaded the entire luggage. Rushed to 4th floor to collect my lunch and breakfast packed by my dear sis. Could see a small pearl like tear just below Pakuthi’s eyes when I hugged her but I guess she controlled herself quite well. The pearl couldn’t complete its journey down. Bid good bye to everyone there and rushed back to the taxi. Meri saari jama poonji usi taxi mein thi :).

By the time the taxi could come to a halt at the Dadar station the clouds burst open in full glory. It was literally pouring down. I had no other option than to take the first coolie with a trolley in his hand. I didn’t want my luggage to get wet. I had no time to even ask him the fare. My first priority was to take my luggage to a dry place. He charged me 120 rupees. Can you believe it? I know he found a bakra early in the morning but I got my work done which was much more important to me at that point of time. Moreover, I knew that my dad wouldn’t allow even a single coolie to come near my luggage in Bangalore and we’ll make up for the money that I splurged here.

Dadar is not the starting point of this train and it stops here for only 2 min. I was really worried because the luggage was HEAVY and I knew it’ll be a tough task to board the train with such heavy luggage. The only glimmer of hope was that the coolie had promised me that my reserved train coach will stop right in fro
nt of me. The train was on time. To my utter disbelief and dismay, the compartment or the boogie that I had to board went two coaches ahead from where I was standing. The Daud started. A 30 to 40 kilo trolley suitcase in one hand, a 10 kilo laptop bag filled with all other electronic gadgets I possess (sometimes I wonder why I do I own so many gadgets) on my shoulder, The other hand had to carry a 15 to 20 kilo bag plus the packed lunch. I somehow managed to board the train with no causalities. Tension, worries, sab ek jhatke mein khallas.

The reservation chart on internet had told me that my coach number was HA1 and the seat number was ‘C’. I was sure that there must be so
me mistake in that chart but surprisingly there was not any. ‘C’ was for coupe ‘C’. I was travelling first class. There are only 3 coupes in the entire train. This was a twin coupe. The other two accommodate 4 people each. There were only 10 people who were traveling 1st class in a train that had more than 25 coaches with almost 72 people in every coach. Felt great!! Felt classy!! Felt awesome!! The first class coupe has beds large enough to even fit the old Adnan Sami in terms of width and in terms of height; it was more than 6 feet. The coupe has nice bed lamps too. It has a wardrobe where you can hang your clothes and a wash basin. The only thing missing was an electrical power point. It might be because the coach we were travelling was a very old one. My co-passenger, a 22 yr old guy from infy was supposed to board the train at Pune. This gave me opportunity to snap few pictures of the coupe. It was fun setting the auto timer and posing for the photographs :).

The sun couldn’t be seen anywhere throughout the entire 24 hr journey. It was either raining or cloudy everywhere. Looking at the weather, AC felt like luxury. Lonavala looked like jannat. It always looks like one during rainy season. This is my third rainy reason in Mumbai and I’m glad I didn’t miss it this time. Clicked a few snaps there as well. After Lonavala, I made a futile attempt to sleep but failed miserably. It became difficult to kill time. I resorted to music and it definitely helped. By the time I was thru with my music, it was 2.00 pm. It was lunch time. Had the delicious ‘Puliyogare’ (tamarind rice) and curd rice. It was after lunch that I felt a lil sleepy. Not even wasting a single min, I prepared my bed and crashed. This time I succeeded. The train had stopped at Sholapur when I woke up at around 5.30 pm.

The guy trying to sell fresh fruit juice woke me up. He got me interested. It was raining quite heavily out in Sholapur but I still managed to find that person who woke me up and bought a glass of watermelon juice. The juice was sweet and so was the feeling of drinking it in rain. My co-passenger also woke up at about the same time. The only difference was that he went to bed almost 3 hrs earlier than I did. As the train slowly made its outside Sholapur station, we spoke. What can two software engineers speak about? What started as a boring conversation later turned to an advice session as that guy was a fresher who’s just joined IT and I am now a 3 year pro :). When it comes to giving advice to people, I never get bored. I love it.

The dinner was good. The menu was Puri, Sabji, Dal, Chawal and Dahi. It was good enough for the 30 rupees I paid for it. I had ordered for it in Sholapur itself due to the unavailability of a pantry car in the train. After dinner it was a little g-mailing using my gprs connection. Went to bed listening to music. Woke up at around 7.30 am to find that I have already reached outskirts of Bangalore. Felt great that I have finally reached, but the stupid train took another hour and 20 min to reach Bangalore station.

I was well aware on which side of the train the platform would come, as I had spoken to my dad. Literally dragged my heavy luggage through the corridor and placed it near the door. My co-passenger followed me. It was a wonderful feeling to see my dad waiting for me at the station. It always feels great if someone comes to pick you up at a station, airport, bus stand etc. Doesn’t it? We reached home at around 9.45 am to the waiting arms of my granny and mommy dear. I was finally home. Home sweet home! I was quick in unpacking my luggage and arranging my wardrobe as I did not have to go back from where I came from this time.

It’s still sinking in that I have finally shifted to Bangalore. I guess it’ll sink in completely once I start to work. Mom and Dad still have this feeling that I might go back to Mumbai but am here to stay. Here to stay!

Currently have 5 comments:

  1. Lovely description, I must say. I am sure your didi and jiju will also miss your company in Mumbai, and so would I when I return to Mumbai. Breakfasts at office will never be the same again...

    All said and done, I am happy that you are back with your parents. I wish I could do that too. All the best for a fresh start.


  2. Hey varun,
    Mast ag bardedya bangalore le konegu settle adhe annu :)


  3. It feels great to know that now you'll be in bangalore with your parents. And your office being so close to your office.

    But will miss you a lot dude. It seems like it was just a few days back when we used to sit next to each other in our cubicles in TechM and had all our discussions and all sorts of timepass.

    Anyways, All the Best for whatever you do in life mate !!!!
    And do let me know whenever you come down to Mumbai, will surely meet you.

  4. :) i got emotional.. well as u said.. people shld move on, but the fact is that it sometimes hurts. what you have written is pretty much brief.
    way to go buddy.. u are back home..enjoy :)

  5. Hi,
    I was one hour earlier than the scheduled arrival of the train !!! You can guess ' Kitne betabi se' we were waiting for you.It opens up a new chapter in our lives. Glad you could come to Namma Bengaluru on your terms. Leaving behind people and moving forward always hurts ; and when you leave good people behind it is that much more painful. Glad you could bond so well with Pakuth and your Jiju. Treasure the happy memories. Welcome Home dear boy.